Sometimes, when you open or run your Firefox web browser, a message will pop up on your screen says; Firefox is already running but is still not responding, or the old Firefox process must be closed to open a new window. Don’t worry; these are a common error message which can be fixed easily. Here we explain you few ways by which you can troubleshoot this error. Otherwise, you may also see a message which says; To open a new window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart your system.
Below we provide you stepwise guide which helps you fixing the Firefox is running but not responding. But go with the given instructions, we recommend you to follow the steps in ascending order to avoid damages and errors. And doing it in a given format also takes less time. The steps are discussed below.
Steps to Fix Error Message ‘Firefox is running but not responding.’
If any process puts a lock on your Firefox certain files so that no other person can use it, however, when an application is closed, it quits access on files it uses. In this case, Firefox may have shut down abnormally, and leaving the lock in some place. Use the below-given steps to remove the lock from any file of the Firefox easily. Here how to do it:
Method-1: Use Task Manager
- Click to launch “Task Manager” and remove all the firefox.exe processes.
- Wait until the removal process is finished and then check that if your Firefox runs or start working or not.
Method-2: Press the ‘X’ Tab
- Click on the ‘Close Firefox’ tab of the ‘Firefox is already running’dialogue box.
- However, the developer has included any effective trick which automatically gets executed when the user clicks on the Close button. Also, it will dismiss the dialogue box, end the Firefox processes, after few minutes it will restart Firefox automatically.
Method-3: Remove Firefox Profile Lock
If the methods above don’t work, then you will need to remove the Firefox lock on your Profile files, all the web browsers will always maintain a profile. Whenever you start using it, the profile is locked, and it is released only when you close the web browsers. If in case, there was a hasty shutdown, and the lock file remained. Here how you can do it:
- Under the Run prompt, type %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles in the search window.
- Now, it will open the profiles folder on the screen.
Note: if you have not created a profile, a single message appears on the screen which says; DEFAULT folder in it (xxxxxx.default).
- Then, launch the profile folder and click on the ‘Delete’ tab to delete all the files.
- After successfully deleting the files, restart your computer system and try to open the Firefox.
Hopefully, after completing the whole procedure, you will be able to open the Firefox on your computer. In all the methods, one should surely work for you.